Tooth whitening has become one of the most popular ways to improve your smile by lightening the existing shade of your natural teeth. This is a simple and effective treatment, which can be carried out by your dentist or at home. Tooth whitening is non-invasive treatment, which does not involve drilling, or removal of the tooth surface.
Our smiles reveal a lot about us, which we would rather hide because of stained and discoloured teeth. The most common causes of this are smoking and drinking red wine, tea and coffee or even some antibiotics. Over time these can lead to yellowing of your natural teeth.
There are many teeth-whitening treatments available, all with varying degrees of success, which is why we only offer techniques, which have been tried and tested.
Ideal Candidates for Teeth Whitening Treatment in Thornton
Most people who have adequate oral health are suitable candidates for a teeth-whitening treatment. Thornton Dental can provide a professional evaluation in order to determine if you are an ideal candidate for teeth whitening.
During this evaluation we will inspect the health of your teeth and gums in order to determine any oral health problems. If any dental conditions are certain, we will provide quality treatment options for you prior to your teeth whitening treatment. This will reduce the potential risk of complications during your teeth whitening treatments in order to receive the best results possible.
Your dentist will provide you with the whitening kit, which contains custom-made whitening trays and a peroxide based gel. To have the trays made:
- An impression (mould) is taken of your teeth using special dental “putty”.
- The moulds are sent to the Dental Laboratory where our technician will fabricate your custom made whitening trays.
- Home whitening can take more than 7 -14 days to have your desired shade. The degree of whitening will vary from patient to patient; greyer teeth can take longer to respond.
Tooth whitening is not permanent. The whitening process will need to be repeated every 12 – 18 months to keep your teeth at the shade you desire.
Whitening can be carried out in the surgery, this way your teeth will be several shades lighter in one to two hours. There are many methods, which are used to achieve whiter teeth while in the dental chair. All the methods follow a similar procedure:
- Your gums will be protected using a rubber coating.
- A Peroxide based gel will be applied to your teeth. The gel will begin to work upon contact with the tooth or will be activated using a laser light.
- After a period of time the gel and the protective coating are removed to reveal whiter teeth.
Some patients ask about tooth whitening because they want to look their very best for a special occasion such as a wedding, special holiday or birthday, while others just love the feeling that comes with a lovely white smile, every day.