Dental veneers (sometimes called porcelain veneers or dental porcelain laminates) are wafer-thin, custom-made shells of tooth-coloured materials designed to cover the front surface of teeth to improve the appearance of a tooth or to protect the tooth surface from damage. Veneers help to improve your smile and make your teeth look beautiful.
There are two main types of material used to fabricate veneers: composite and porcelain.
A composite veneer may be directly placed (built-up in the mouth), or indirectly fabricated by a dental technician in a dental lab, and later bonded to the tooth. A porcelain veneer is only indirectly fabricated.
Uses of Veneers
Veneers are used for a range of cosmetic reasons:
- Discoloured teeth
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Worn down teeth
- To close the small gaps between the teeth
- Irregular or mal-aligned teeth
- Improve the appearance of smile
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
- Provide fast results and often require only two appointments
- A non-invasive cosmetic dental procedure with no adverse effects
- No harm to surrounding tissues
- Looks and feels very realistic and natural
- Makes teeth resistant to staining and decay
- With proper care, porcelain veneers can last up to 15 years or more
Benefits of Ceramic Veneers
- Provide a natural tooth appearance
- Stain resistant
- A more aesthetic alternative to crowns
- The colour can be selected
If you want to enhance your teeth with veneers, the first step is to consult your dentist to see if you’re a suitable candidate for the treatment. The dentist will assess your existing dental condition, talk about your main concerns and your desired results, as well as the cost involved.
On the second appointment, the dentist will perform a mock-up of your teeth, to your satisfaction, before preparing the teeth. A model will be created and sent to the lab to begin the fabrication of the veneers. This process usually takes 1 to 2 weeks.
Once the veneers are created, you will visit the clinic for the third appointment. During this visit, the veneers are ready to be cemented onto the surface of your teeth. You will leave the office with an amazing, transformed smile.
Premium Veneers at Thornton Dental
If you want to have a new smile or correct the flaws in your teeth, dental veneers may be the right treatment for you. Thornton Dental provides high-quality veneers that look natural on your teeth. We will first perform an examination to see if you’re a good candidate for this treatment. If you require dental veneers to correct your smile, come and visit our clinic today.