Soft Tissue Injuries in the Mouth
Soft tissue injuries in the mouth are a common dental emergency we often deal with at Thornton Dental. Your mouth’s soft tissues include the tongue, cheeks, gums and lips. They are sensitive and delicate, and when injured, they can cause extreme pain and discomfort.
In addition, because the area is so rich in blood vessels, injury in these areas of your mouth can cause bleeding. Although the bleeding can stop in a few minutes, this still needs urgent medical attention. Some soft tissue injuries in the mouth may need a tetanus shot and stitches.
Some of the most common injuries include:
Common Causes of Injuries
- Accidental biting on your lip or cheek
- Chewing on hard foods or objects
- Engaging in contact sports and other activities
- Falling on your face or mouth area
- Drinking drinks that are too hot
- Car accidents
Dental First Aid for Soft Tissue Injuries
- Make a saline solution by mixing ½ teaspoon of salt in one glass of water. Rinse your mouth thoroughly.
- If the bleeding continues, apply pressure against the affected area using a piece of clean gauze for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Hole an ice to the injured are for around 10 minutes to help reduce swelling and pain.
- See your dentist or visit the nearest dental clinic.
How Your Thornton Dentist Repair Injured Soft Tissues in the Mouth
Dentists have the skills and knowledge necessary to diagnose and repair soft tissue injuries in the mouth. The treatment can range from conservative care to stitching and using sedation techniques.
First, the dentist will clean the area thoroughly and determine if a tooth is loose or damaged. If there are no damaged or loose teeth, the wound will be stitched to seal it and control the bleeding. For minor cases, stitching is not necessary. The dentist will also make sure, before you go home, that the area is properly sterilised and free from any debris to prevent infection.
Soft Tissue Injury Treatment at Thornton Dental
Thornton Dental offers Same Day Emergency Appointment!
We provide same-day appointments for dental emergency cases and offer comprehensive care for almost any types of dental emergencies. Our experienced and responsive dental team provides treatment in a caring and compassionate manner.