For many years dentures have been an industry standard for replacing missing teeth. Dentures may be a cost-effective solution if you have multiple missing teeth, or no remaining teeth at all.
With the advent of implant dentistry, dentures can now be considered in conjunction with dental implants to lock dentures in place so that you will be able to bite into your favourite foods without any discomfort. Modern acrylics now give dentures a very real and natural appearance.
Dentures are one alternative to replacing missing or lost teeth. This cosmetic dental treatment can help people feel more confident when smiling and enhance the ability to function and eat a wide range of foods.
Types of Dentures
There are three types of dentures:
- Partial dentures, which replaces one tooth or several teeth, usually retained by clasps around your existing teeth.
- Full dentures, which replace an entire set of teeth, the upper teeth, lower teeth, or both. A full set of dentures also helps provide support to your facial structure allowing your lips and cheeks to look fuller, resulting in a younger, healthier appearance.
- Implant retained dentures are a popular alternative to conventional dentures. An implant-retained denture replaces one or more single teeth and is held in place by dental implants secured within the jaw.
Dentures are kept in place by either using clasps, which anchor around neighbouring teeth, or by the dentures’ natural suction. On occasions a denture fixative or glue is recommended to aid in keeping the denture in place.
Our dentist will assess your needs and thoroughly examine your mouth for suitability for dentures, looking at:
- All your existing teeth, checking for mobile teeth as these may have to be removed prior to having new dentures
- Looking at existing restorations, fillings, crowns, etc.
- The health of your gums, to make sure there is no infection present
- The way your teeth bite together
- If you have no natural teeth, assessing your gums and underlying bone
The procedure will be explained to you and a plan stating all the stages of treatment and the cost will be presented to you.
State of the Art Work on Dentures at Thornton Dental
With modern dentistry, advanced techniques, and high quality materials, your doctors at Thornton Dental can restore your smile with premium dentures. Your Thornton dentist can determine and recommend the best type of dentures for your missing teeth issues. If you are ready to bring back your beautiful smile and confidence with the help of dentures, don’t hesitate to make an appointment with us here at Thornton Dental.