Dental Care for Children
Finding a children’s dentist that your child is comfortable with is important. If you are in the Hunter suburbs of NSW, come and see Thornton Dental for gentle, caring dentistry especially for little ones. Remember, children should have an oral health check by the time they turn two!
Tips For Positive Dental Visits
- Take your child with you when you visit a dental clinic so that they can become accustomed to what happens in the clinic.
- Talk about dental visits being part of regular routines that help to keep people healthy.
- Make appointments early in the day so your child is not tired.
- Arrive a little before the appointment time to let your child become familiar with the surroundings.
Keeping Children’s Teeth Healthy
Tips for keeping children’s teeth healthy include:
- Help your child to brush their teeth until they are about seven or eight years old. Brush twice a day; in the morning and before bed.
- When children start brushing their own teeth, check to see that they have removed all of the plaque (build-up on teeth).
- Make sure they eat a wide variety of nutritious foods and keep healthy snacks easily available.
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks, and highly processed foods, especially between meals.
- Offer tap water regularly. Most of NSW tap water has fluoride in it, which is good for teeth.
- Look in your child’s mouth often to check for any early signs of tooth decay.
Protecting Your Children’s Teeth
Children’s teeth need particular protection as they develop. Suggestions include:
- Brushing teeth without toothpaste until the age of 18 months.
- Introducing low-fluoride toothpaste when a child is approximately 18 months old. Choose a low-fluoride toothpaste designed especially for children.
- Using a child-size toothbrush with soft bristles.
- Using only a pea-size amount of toothpaste, smeared over the toothbrush.
- Encouraging children to spit out toothpaste, not swallow it. Don’t rinse.
Supervise children when they brush their teeth until you are sure they can do it well
Continue to use low fluoride toothpaste for children until they are six years old
Don’t use fluoride supplements in the form of drops or tablets to be chewed or swallowed. They can affect the development of your child’s adult teeth.
If your drinking water is not fluoridated, seek professional dental advice about the use of fluoride toothpaste for children. A dental professional may advise more frequent use of fluoride toothpaste, commencement of toothpaste at a younger age, or earlier commencement of use of standard toothpaste.
Quality Care for Children at Thornton Dental
Get your child the appropriate care they need and deserve. Introducing good dental care at an early age helps your child obtain healthy, beautiful teeth today and for many years to come. For your child’s excellent oral health wellness, consult us here at Thornton Dental. Our dental team are friendly and passionate about taking care of your child’s smile.
Child Dental Benefit Schedule
Bulk Bill for children who are eligible for MEDICARE CHILD DENTAL BENEFIT SCHEDULE
Up to $1000 worth of dental treatments over two years