Children’s Dental Emergencies
Children are more prone to dental emergencies than adults. If your child encounters a dental emergency, it’s important that you act quickly and properly.
At Thornton Dental, we go the extra mile when it comes to your child’s dental health.
Here are some of the most common children’s dental emergencies we deal with here at Thornton Dental, as well as the steps to help you handle the situation at home or anywhere.
First Aid for Children’s Dental Emergencies
- Have your child rinse his or her mouth with warm salt water
- If there is a swelling, apply a cold compress against the area with the aching tooth
- Don’t put a medicine on the tooth or its surrounding gum tissue
- If there is any food debris in or around the teeth, floss or brush the teeth
- See a dentist immediately
- Locate the tooth right away
- Never touch the root but hold the crown only
- Clean the tooth with water but don’t scrub or scrape it
- For older children, attempt to gently reinsert the tooth into its socket
- For younger children, the tooth must be put in a glass or container that has milk or saliva
- Keep the tooth moist while you are on the way to the dentist as this is important for the success of reimplantation
Chipped or Broken Tooth
- Rinse the affected area with clean, warm water
- Apply pressure on the bleeding using a clean cloth
- Apply cold a compress against the face where the injury happened
- If possible, locate and collect the broken tooth fragments
- Visit your dentist as soon as possible
- Get a pencil eraser to move the offending wire into place. Do this slowly to avoid breaking the wire
- Go see a dentist immediately
- While on the way to the clinic, cover sharp edges with cotton or clean gauze
The Child Dental Benefits Schedule will continue in 2018
In the news:
The Australian Dental Association (ADA) has applauded announcement by the Turnbull Government and its Health Minister, Greg Hunt, to reinstate the Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) cap to $1,000.
“The Minister for Health, the Hon Greg Hunt … advised the ADA that a number of changes to the CDBS have been finalised and will take effect on 1 January 2018.”
Bulk Bill for children who are eligible for MEDICARE CHILD DENTAL BENEFIT SCHEDULE
Up to $1000 worth of dental treatments over two years
Dental Emergency Response for Children at Thornton Dental
Thornton Dental offers Same Day Emergency Appointment!
We provide same-day appointments for dental emergency cases and offer comprehensive care for almost any types of dental emergencies. Our experienced and responsive dental team provides treatment in a caring and compassionate manner.
Learn more about handling your child’s dental emergency.