Infection can affect the teeth and the gums. It can spread from the root to the jaw. In severe cases, the infection can even spread to a person’s entire body and lead to life-threatening conditions. With early detection, dental abscess can be prevented and treated.
At Thornton Dental, we provide urgent care to patients with serious and complex dental concerns such as dental abscesses. If you suffer from any of the symptoms of dental abscess, we recommend visiting us as soon as possible.
Symptoms of Abscessed Tooth or Gums
- Bad breath
- Sharp or throbbing toothache pain
- Extremely sensitive teeth
- General feeling of illness
- Extreme pain when chewing
- Redness and swelling of the gums
- Bitter taste in the mouth caused by a open, draining sore in the gums
- Enlarged neck glands
- Swelling of the jaw (in advanced cases)
First Aid for Dental Abscess
- Rinse your mouth with saltwater if you see or feel a pimple growing on your gums or around teeth
- Make a peppermint tea, let it cool and gargle the lukewarm tea thoroughly
- Take over the counter pain relievers to lessen the pain
- Put a warm compress against the cheek where the pain occurs
- See your dentist immediately
Treatment for Dental Abscess
The goal of the treatment is to remove the infection first to make sure that the tooth can be saved and further complications can be avoided. Your dentist at Thornton Dental will assess your condition and recommend the appropriate treatment for your condition. Dental abscess is treated with the following procedures:
- Antibiotic therapy
- Draining of the abscess
- Root canal therapy
- Tooth extraction
Dental Abscess Treatment at Thornton Dental
Once you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above, see us here at Thornton Dental to start appropriate treatment. If left untreated, dental abscess can be detrimental to your health and can cause the loss of life.
Thornton Dental offers Same Day Emergency Appointment!
We provide same-day appointments for dental emergency cases and offer comprehensive care for almost any types of dental emergencies. Our experienced and responsive dental team provides treatment in a caring and compassionate manner.